Sunday, February 23, 2020

Diving Deeper

I had a thought...
Maybe if I dive deeper into what a documentary actually is, then maybe the topic will come to us easier and we can finally get inspired by something or someone around us. 

I have seen plenty of documentaries before and have taken notes in class about this type of media, however, I wanted to research even further. I wanted to really understand why documentaries are how they are. 

In order to help me with this, the website called Desktop Documentaries, has come to be my best friend (https://www.desktop-documentaries.com/what-is-a-documentary.html). This site has an article specifically titled, "What is a documentary?" so immediately I started to read. 

"Documentaries bring viewers into new worlds and experiences through the presentation of factual information about real people, places, and events, generally -- but not always -- portrayed through the use of actual images and artifacts. But factuality alone does not define documentary films; it's what the filmmaker does with those factual elements, weaving them into an overall narrative that strives to be as compelling as it is truthful and is often greater than the sum of its parts."

--Sheila Curran Bernard, Author of Documentary Storytelling

This specific quote definitely inspired me. It made me understand that documentaries are more than just the interview or shots, it is how the creators combine them to create the narrative. The truth could be told in a variety of ways and stories can be people aware or actively participate in a society that needs changing. 

Researching has helped Dio and I really appreciate documentaries and why / how they are made. We want ours to also have an impact on our society; overall being powerful and relatable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

I cannot believe this is all over! Thanks for following along on my journey. Here is my CCR!